Cinder - Marissa Meyer

“Even in the Future the Story Begins with Once Upon a Time.”

I read this a little over a year ago and re-read/listened to it just a few days ago.  I remember now why I loved it so much. A Cyborg Cinderella story, you might think that it will be a little boring, or weird, or not really work but Marissa Meyer does a fantastic job on this retelling of a classic in a future world with whole new twists.

“I'm sure I'll feel much more grateful when I find a guy who thinks complex wiring in a girl is a turn-on.”

The story is set in Beijing China sometime in a distant future.  Cinder is a cyborg; she is basically a second class citizen and a slave to her stepmother.  Her only friend is a droid with a quirky personality chip named Iko.  Cinder works as a mechanic and while at her booth is approached by the very handsome Prince Kai to help him with a malfunctioning android that may have some important information.   Right away there is a type of chemistry between them that is extremely subtle.   But the story isn’t just about Cinder and Kai no no no Meyer ups it a notch and there is so much more.  There is a plague that has been ravaging earth for over ten years, a Queen from the colony on the moon that is maneuvering to marry Kai and become Empress or go to war and a lost Lunar Princess that might be able to save Kai from a fate worse than death.

“Imagine there was a cure, but finding it would cost you everything. It would completely ruin your life. What would you do?”

Meyer built an interesting futuristic world with Cyborgs, Androids, hovercrafts and identity chips to track everyone.  Most of the story is set in Beijing China but there are references to other areas outside that I’m eager to see more of in future installments.  This is the first book in a four book series and I will say I am impressed.  Cinder is not a boring girl, she is fascinating and her story compelling.  Yes there is the evil stepmother and two step sisters but even that took a different twist from the original story.  I traveled along with Cinder and really connected to her character emotionally.

This is a fun read for anyone who likes some lite sci-fi and fairy tales, you will not be disappointed.