Dragonfly in Amber - Diana Gabaldon

This book is for people who love the details of History and Epic Romances.

Dragonfly in Amber is not for the faint of heart.  I can’t believe how many times I was up and down while reading this.  There are so many characters that someone in the book has to jump out and grab your heart if not multiple characters.  Diana Gabaldon does not pull any punches and while there are some extremely disturbing moments that may shock you there are also some extremely tender moments that make everything else worthwhile.

“There aren't any answers, only choices”

I almost thought I picked up the wrong book as in the beginning it is twenty years in the future and Claire and her daughter Brianna are traveling through Scotland.  They find Roger the adopted son of the pastor that helped Frank with some of the genealogy all those years ago before Claire first disappeared from her time.  But the story is told from two points one being twenty years after Claire went into the past and a few months after we left Outlander.

When we left Jamie and Claire in Outlander they were about to set out to see if they can perhaps change the events that led up to the battle at Culloden and the death of so many Scots.  It is a dangerous game trying to straddle both sides and learn what Prince Charlie is planning.  Paris is a dangerous place and danger and trouble seem to find Jamie and Claire around every corner.

I will say this is one of the most interesting books I’ve read.  The author takes huge chances with our couple.  They are in a constant battle against all odds and even though you know ultimately what will happen at the end the road the journey to it is epic.  The road winds and unfolds in ways I never imagined.  To say that my heart broke while reading this is an understatement.  There are extremely tender moments between Jamie and Claire.  They go through so much and still the bond that they share is forever clear.  They are one of my favorite couples in literature with so many romantic exchanges between them it was hard to pick just a few that stand out more than others.

“I talk to you as I talk to my own soul," he said, turning me to face him. He reached up and cupped my cheek, fingers light on my temple. "And Sassenach," he whispered, "Your face is my heart.”

“If it was a sin for you to choose me . . . then I would go to the Devil himself and bless him for tempting ye to it.”

I never doubt the love between them even as they hurt each other impossibly in order to try to save one another.  Each would gladly die for the other and think nothing of it.

Jamie and Claire make new friends along the way Fregus the pick pocket that Jaime took under his care in Paris was one of my favorites.  Along with Murtog the cantankerous and loyal God Father of Jamie.  Some old nemeses return and there are plenty of new ones to contend with too as Jamie tries to prevent Prince Charles Stuart from returning to claim the throne in Scotland.

At the end I was eager to drop everything in my life and charge on into the next installment.  I forgot how long the book was as I was drawn into every detail of it.  But, as these are extremely long books I must do a few other things in-between.  By far some of the best historical fiction I’ve ever read.

A few quotes I absolutely loved that might be a bit spoilery

“For if you feel for me as I do for you - then I am asking you to tear out your heart and live without it.”

“I will find you," he whispered in my ear. "I promise. If I must endure two hundred years of purgatory, two hundred years without you - then that is my punishment, which I have earned for my crimes. For I have lied, and killed, and stolen; betrayed and broken trust. But there is the one thing that shall lie in the balance. When I shall stand before God, I shall have one thing to say, to weigh against the rest."

His voice dropped, nearly to a whisper, and his arms tightened around me.

Lord, ye gave me a rare woman, and God! I loved her well.”

Epic Romance that Transcends Time