Magic Rises - Ilona Andrews

There are books that develop the plot, books that develop characters and books that manage to do both without you noticing.  I think it is a week after reading this that I think I see why the authors chose to present this story in this way.  It is something that needed to happen to clarify lines before the big battle with Kate’s Daddy can happen.

Kate and Curran are together and Kate is as happy or as you can possibly be when you rule the were-packs and your Father or one of his minions might come to kill you at any time.  At least you were until a tragedy strikes.  Most were-children don’t make it through either birth or puberty and Kate and Curran must walk into a trap, concocted by the European packs, in order to get the one thing that might help them keep the kids in the pack from going loup.  But will their love be enough to survive it?

“One time I was dying in a cage inside a palace that was flying over a magic jungle. And some idiot went in there, chased the palace down, fought his way through hundreds of rakshasas, and rescued me.”
“I remember,” he said.
“That’s when I realized you loved me,” I said. “I was in the cage and I heard you roar.”

Knowing you are walking into a trap is one thing, not knowing exactly what your partner is doing is another and Curran is definitely sending mixed signals.  Kate must decide if she should trust the man she loves or does she believe like those around her that he might betray her.  It might be getting her down a little bit.

“Outside the windows the day was bright: golden sunshine, blue sky, pleasant wind ... I wanted to punch the happy day in the face, grab it by the hair, and beat it until it told me what the hell it was so happy about.”

But our Kate is strong and perseveres even when in doubt.  She doesn’t hold up and pout in a bedroom, no she still takes charge, focuses and gets the job done.  As you should girls, even when you question your life’s happiness, go girl power.   Kate has some serious trust issues that needed to be addressed after being alone for so long.  Curran has this habit of making decisions for everyone, including Kate, without consulting anyone.  These are both big character weaknesses that needed to be addressed before the big battle happens.

This was the most emotional book for me of the series.  It was great to see how Kate is fitting into the pack.  Some have come to her side right away while she is still trying to win others over.   As always I loved Derek and Barabas’s fierce devotion to Kate.  Even Mahon had a touching moment or two.

As a parent, it was believable the lengths members of the pack would take to be able to procure the medication that helps reduce the risk of kids going loup.  There were surprises and heartbreaks I didn’t expect throughout and some set up as to what Daddy really wants with Kate.

But as always I love the interactions between Kate and Curran.  They are if nothing else passionate.

“He said that the man must be your husband, because only someone we love very much can make us this crazy.”

I’ve been married awhile and that is totally true.  We sometimes become fools for the ones we love as they are able to hurt us in ways no one else ever could.

In summary

action – check

romance – check

heartbreaking moments – check

the WTF moment – check

snarky banter – check, check

and finally the awe moment – super check