Everneath - Brodi Ashton The first 100 pages really only get 2 stars but after that 4 stars so I’ll average it to 3.Nikki gave up her life to an immortal so he could feed off her emotions for 100 years before she becomes essentially a battery for the world of the immortals. As 100 hundred years goes by in the Everneath only 6 months have passed for the people she left behind. Nikki is different, she survived the 100 year feeding intact and now Cole wants to use her to take over the underworld while all she wants is to reconnect with the people she left behind. She has six months to live among her family and the boy she left behind to decide whether to be a battery for the rest of her days or try to become a Queen in the underworld.I will say I was confused at the beginning of the book it started out in the middle of the story acting like you already knew all the characters. I even looked to see if this was a continuation of a different series or if I accidentally got the second book. The first 100 pages or so were tortuously slow for me. I didn’t really connect with the MC for quite a while and maybe that is because Nikki or Becks (depending on who referring to her) was so broken. Also she kept pushing away Jack the person she loved and came back for….so I was like enough already. But, it gets better. The pace of the story picks up and I really started liking it after Becks and Jack start working together to try and find a way to save Becks from having to return to the Everneath. The use of mythology in the book was also catchy and I liked the twist of the stories of Persephone and Hades and Orpheus and Eurydice. I enjoyed the growth of Nikki as her soul filled up again and her emotions returned. Although parts of it reminded me of a Buffy the Vampire slayer episode I once watched overall the story was well told. I liked the little mystery that was happening and was very interested in that part of the story. This is a great book for those who like mythology lite and the author has set the series up to have a more interesting second and third book.