Siege and Storm - Leigh Bardugo He tapped the sun over his heart. “I came here for you. You’re my flag. You’re my nation.”Mal and Alina were in hiding after escaping the Darkling in Shadow and Bone. Siege and Storm picks up right after with a boy and a girl on a ship to a new land. But all too soon they are discovered and thrust back into the world they were trying so desperately to escape. The Darkling pulls on Alina and speaks to her mind. She is so unsure of her power and the road it could lead her on. With each step down the new road she takes she feels like she is moving farther and farther away from the boy she loves. Alina and Mal both make mistakes and flounder in moments of their relationship until it holds on by just a thread. Can they find their way back to each other or will the Darkling be able to pull Alina to him? Add in a swarthy sea captain Sturmhold who is every witty bad boy incarnate stereotype (in the best way) and you have a great bit of comic relief. He is as slippery and sly as a fox, can he be trusted or is he just another in a long line that just want to use Alina’s power for his own ambitions. Still there are moments of great tenderness and heartbreak in store for our heroine.An Ice dragon and new creatures more scary than the volcra along with a new quest add to the story. Acolytes and fanatics are popping up everywhere to worship the Sun Summoner as a Saint. Alina struggles so much to come to terms with who she is and the role she is meant to play. Maybe that is why she sometimes flounders so much with Mal she is missing confidence while growing into the role of the Sun Summoner. Mal is also struggling to find his place in the Griesha world. He feels useless in comparison to others that are surrounding Alina and wants so desperately to be able to be important to her. Some of the moments between them are so light with an easy and cute banter while others are just heartbreaking as you see both trying to work out who they are and if they can still fit together.I have loved you all my life Mal” I whispered through my tears, “There is no end to our story.”The Darkling is just as intriguing and scary as he has always been. It is hard to know his mind completely but he has shown the price that people who go against have and will pay in this book Poor sweet Geyna How a character can be so seductive and yet so cruel at the same time is a tribute to Bardugo’s writing. I love hating him. The ending was just fantastic as all the buildup comes to a head and we find out what our heroes are really made of and the sacrifices they are willing to make. The ending was not really a cliff hanger but it left me wanting to desperately know how my favorite characters will overcome these new obstacles in their way in the final installment Rise and Ruin.