Darkfever - Karen Marie Moning Totally Hooked 3.5 stars not a bad series start.Darkfever threatens to be a fantastic dark intriguing urban fantasy series that is written smartly with imperfect heroes and villains. While I believe this book was mostly set up for the books to come I thoroughly enjoyed it. I am hooked into this world by this first book and can’t wait to read what will happen next.“You want to believe in black and white, good and evil, heroes that are truly heroic, villains that are just plain bad, but I've learned in the past year that things are rarely so simple. The good guys can do some truly awful things, and the bad guys can sometimes surprise the heck out of you.”Mac or heroine is a reformed Barbie doll southern bell who reluctantly becomes more that she thought she was after the death of her sister. Now transformed, Mac is looking for her sister’s killer in a different country and has become surrounded by intriguing people with questionable loyalties all of whom seem more dangerous than she is. Who should she trust, how much should she tell them and what is this new power she has found within herself? Mac has stumbled into Barrons who is mysterious and seems completely the opposite of everything Mac is.“Last night you said you wanted to know what to expect so you could better select your attire. I told you we were going to visit a vampire in a Goth-den tonight. Why, then, Ms. Lane, do you look like a perky rainbow?”Beyond the gruff personality and devastating sensuality of Barrons, Mac can’t seem to figure out if he is to be trusted or just using her for his own purposes. V’lane also wants to use Mac it seems and since he is Royal Fae and oozes sexuality Mac finds it increasingly difficult to keep her clothes on around him, even if sex with him would most likely be her death.Mac is funny but she is definitely a reluctant hero and sometimes regresses back to Barbie doll status, which can be a little annoying but I hope her character grows out of it in books to come. Barrons totally made this book for me trying to figure out his motivations, what he is and if there will be a romance that buds between him and Mac somewhere in the series (I really hope so /swoon) tall dark handsome and possibly evil just my type.“He didn't just occupy space; he saturated it. The room had been full of books before, now it was full of him.”V’lance was interesting as well and I still haven’t decided what team he is playing for either, but I’m sure he is dangerous. Add in all the other monsters and villains and this series could play out epically. I look forward to the next book in this series that I just don’t think I can wait to start.