Bloodfever - Karen Marie Moning

“You can't go forward if you're looking backward, Mac, Daddy always said. You run into walls that way.”

Poor Mac, she used to wear pink frilly frocks with her blonde Barbie doll ponytail in place but that really isn’t conducive to her new lifestyle that seems to involve a lot more monsters and blood.  Now with her new wardrobe of black with shortened black hair she and her reluctant ally Barrons are searching for a deadly book, Macs sister’s killer, hallows and a way to save the world.  Not bad for a reformed Barbie doll.  Mac is still surrounded by people with ambiguous motivations and all seem to want to use her to their own ends.

Barrons is charming in a mysterious, handsome gruff way that makes you think of doing extremely naughty things.  Is he good? Is he bad? Is he really good at being bad? The jury is still out for me on that one, all I know is I want one.  He keeps showing up for Mac at the right time and has saved her life a time or two so how bad can he be.

“What are you Barrons?”
“The one who will never let you die, and that’s more, Ms Lane, than anyone in your life has been able to say to you. More than anyone else can do”

V’lane the death by sex fae has an agenda of his own and is Puck incarnate.  Mac seems to always end up accidentally naked when he is around and the trickster is doing everything in his power to seduce her and pull her over to his side

“I want us to be... what is your word? Friends."
"Psychotic rapists don't have friends."
"I was unaware you were a psychotic rapists or I would not have offered."

There are also many other players introduced in the second installment of the Fever series.  The world building continues and the sexual tension between Mac and Barrons is building as they work together

“One day you may kiss a man you can’t breathe without, and find breath is of little consequence.”

“Right and one day my prince might come.”

“I doubt he’ll be a prince, Ms. Lane.  Men rarely are.”

This book had mystery, action, drama, fun playful banter and a little hint of romance tinged with lust.  It is everything a second book should be in a series pulling you deeper into the story and the characters.  A few questions get answered and more come into being.  Mac is evolving very nicely from the spoiled girl she was into a powerful woman who still gives us a fashion tip here and there.  Great and exciting read it left me wanting so much more for all my favorite characters while not giving too much away.  I will definitely stay tuned to see what happens next in Faefever.