The Bitter Kingdom - Rae Carson

It would destroy me to have you just a little

The Bitter Kingdom is the perfect ending to the Girl of Fire and Thorns trilogy. Rae Carson has hit this one out of the park with the addition of a few new characters and the resurrection of other favorites from the first two books in the series. In addition there are scenes from Hector’s POV with added so much depth and understanding to his character that I loved him even more, if that was possible.

The Bitter Kingdom starts almost immediately after Crown of Embers and Elisa is on the way to find and save Hector. With the help of Mara, Belén and Storm, Elisa travels into enemy territory to destroy the power source of the Invierne and save the man she loves. This is such an action packed story full of trials, obstacles and adventures. Just when one problem is solved another jumps into its place, the road to Inveirne and back to save Elisa’s own kingdom is perilous.

Elisa really grows into herself on the journey and finds a special strength within herself from an unexpected place, she is not just the bearer of the Godstone, she is a great ruler in her own right. Elisa is strong and powerful in this book, brave and wickedly smart in her political maneuverings. More than once I was shocked and impressed at the strength she showed and the way she arranged all the alliances.

But there are plenty of tender moments shared between Elisa and Hector along the way to make your heart flutter a little.

”I am strong enough, man enough, to be subject to you.”

Because that is one of the things I loved best from Crown of Embers and this book as well. The growing love between Hector and Elisa that seemed completely organic and ‘real’ never forced or absolutely perfect.

I think sometimes when we find love we pretend it away or ignore it or tell ourselves we’re imagining it. Because it is the most painful kind of hope there is.

The break out character in this story for me was Storm though. He stole the show a few times and I loved the bond that he formed with the group of travelers. He was a great addition to the story and sometimes in his innocence of sarcasm was too funny. He acts harsh and hard but he is fierce and became one of my favorite characters. Red is also a new favorite of mine, she was such a cute child and really added heart to the overall story.

Elisa is wise beyond her years; she has traveled so far from the Girl she was in GoFaT to the woman she is in The Bitter Kingdom. It is bittersweet to leave this series, but I loved how it is tied up with just enough opening for you to think about what will happen later in Elisa’s life and kingdom and I left this world with a big smile on my face and happiness at the overall outcome and fates of those in the story.

Overall Series Ratings Were: