Crown of Midnight - Sarah J. Maas

4.5 stars OMG what a ride I was up and down and what happens next I loved this book.

“I can’t tell if I should be ashamed of want to hold you on this day, or grateful that, despite what happened before now, it somehow brought me to you.”

This was a rollercoaster ride. Not only do we have our assassin, we have a land that has lost it’s magic mostly, a prince with a deadly secret, a princess acting as a spy, the captain of the Guard whole loyalty might be torn, a forgotten Queen pulling strings to help the good and evil in almost its purest form in the King.
We pick up only shortly after Throne of Glass and Celaena is the King’s Champion. She is now his personal assassin and has to play the part well or she may get herself and her friends killed. Chaol and Celaena are spending a lot of time together and as much as he cares for her he is trying not to cross the line that would put both their lives at risk, but it becomes harder every day. Dorian has given Celaena some room after she claimed to only want friendship but even he sees how she looks at his Captain of the Guard. Nehemia is still at the castle trying to save her people and gather sympathy toward her cause she also seems to know more than she is letting on. It seems that all of the main players have secrets they are not telling each other, and no one more than Celaena.

“We’ll never be a normal boy and girl, will we?” she managed to say.
“No.” he breathered, his eyes blazing. “We won’t.”

This books had two parts to it. The first is the set up with all the political intrigue and the budding romance between Celaena and Chaol. Celaena is trying so hard to stay out of the brewing war that will eventually come and even though she and Nehemia are good friends Celaena wants no part of the rebellion that Nehemia wants for her people. Then there is that moment in the book where everything gets flipped. While I was worried about the life of one character, something I wasn’t expecting happened and our assassin broke, her enemies better beware because she is mad now and will come for them all. The second part is mostly action all the way, with fighting, figuring out the clues and Celaena’s desperation to set things right.

I was on the edge of my seat for practically all of this book and the ending…..well lets just say it wasn’t a cliffhanger but there is a great revelation and now I really wonder how it was effect all of the characters in the next book.

All of the characters grew so much and the sacrifices made….oh my tender heart is still recovering. I love Chaol he is the protector guardian type and those are really my kryptonite.

“Believe me, Celaena,” he snarled “I know you can look after yourself. But I worry because I care. Gods help me, I know I shouldn’t, but I do. So I will always tell you to be careful, because I will always care what happens.”

Dorian came a long way in this book too and I’m eager to see if he will continue to step up and be a man in the face of his father or cower and revert to his old ways. I think he could play an even larger role in the books to come.

Throne of Glass was all about possibilities and Crown of Midnight came through on a few of those but man it seems like there is so much more to come. I am totally impressed with how this is progressing and the only thing I’m sad about is that I will have to wait another year to see what happens next.

One of the best fantasy books I’ve read this year.