The Darkest Minds - Alexandra Bracken “When a girl cries, few things are more worthless than a boy”So true.In the United States there was a plague of sorts that only affected children. If you caught it you died or mutated to have some kind of extra power. So now all children with power have been rounded up and put in camps or are on the run.The first part of the book takes a little time to get into. Ruby is all alone, her parents don’t remember her and she has been taken to one of the camps for children. She is so lonely and her story of isolation sad. Ruby convinced the people at the camp that she was a much less harmful mutation but her secret is about to come out and with the help of a doctor she must escape.Once Ruby meets up with a band of kids on the lamb the story becomes much more interesting. They are a little tight knit group that banded together when they all escaped from the camp they were being held in. Liam is the head of the group, he is the oldest in the group and came from a family trying to go against the current government. Chubs is the skeptical sidekick that doesn’t trust new people easily but is a completely loyal friend once you get in his good graces. Zu is a little Chinese girl that can control electricity but doesn’t speak. They are an unlikely band of renegades all trying to find the slip kid who has set up a safety zone for kids on the run.“We'll just have to try to make better mistakes tomorrow.” The story picks up a lot of momentum after about 30%. There are so many obstacles to overcome to find the hidden camp for kids and dangers to avoid along the way. There is also a cute love story between Ruby and Liam. Not insta love but a growing friendship that becomes more.“Did you know...you make me so happy that sometimes I actually forget to breath? I'll be looking at you, and my chest will get so tight...and it's like, the only thought in my head is how much I want to reach over and kiss you.”There were a few great twist near the end and some shocking moments. I became so attached to all of the characters in the group that when the book ended I was sad I didn’t’ have another to pick up right away to continue on with my friends. The story is fun, at times disturbing and extremely well thought out. I can’t wait to see where Bracken takes us in Never Fade.