The Dream Thieves - Maggie Stiefvater

Maggie Stiefvater impresses me more and more every new book she puts out. I really didn't think that she could out do the writing in The Raven Boys but if she hasn't outdone it she certainly has matched it.

Blue knows that Gansey is going to die this year, she also knows that if she kisses her true love they will die. Is Gansey her true love or will she kill him and that is why she saw him on the corpse road, because those are the only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on the corpse road? Yet knowing all of that Blue has joined this group of Raven Boys in search of a lost Welsh King. Blue is desperate to foil fate and fall for Adam instead of Gansey but try as she might there seems to be a pull to him that is undeniable.

After a moment Maura asked, "Are you crying?"
"Only a little"
"Why?"
"Generalized sadness."
"Are you sad? Did something bad happen?"
"Not yet."
"Ah, Blue

It has to be incredibly difficult to have a secret like the one Blue carries and not tell anyone. Only the ladies at 300 Fox way and blue know that Gansy is supposed to die sometime this year. It has to be more difficult to care about someone you know you cannot keep. Maggie writes a beautiful innocent longing between Gansey and Blue that is really one of my favorite parts to the story. But there are so many layers that it is so hard to pick a favorite part to the story line.

"It was mint and memories and the past and the future and she felt as if she'd done this before and already she longed to do it again."

This is mostly the story of Ronan coming to terms with who he is and what he can do. Not everyone can just pull items from dreams. He has been angry for so long that it could seem like that was all there was to him but you would be so wrong. The depth of his character was really added to in this book. His story line with his father and the dream world were absolutely fascinating. I loved his interactions with Chainsaw as well, that is really some of the only times you really get to see the very tender side of Ronan. His character is so complex, as are his dreams. Maggie does a great job of showing us some of Roland's childhood and we finally get to find out what really happened to his father.

Adam is still the same mad kid with a chip on his shoulder, but now he has some power to go along with it and really isn't sure what to do. The power of the Ley Line is seeping into Adam and he has to figure out a way to control it before it controls him. Gansey is still searching for Glendower but nothing is going as well as he'd like and he feels like he is losing Adam along the way.

The women of 300 Fox way by far are some of my favorite moments in the book. They are eerie and mysterious. They add something totally mystical but not overdone to the story that I can't quite put my finger on. I like how they are different people sometimes and act a one person others. Their interactions with The Gray Man were unexpected and fascinating. They were the reason I could see the Gray man for more than he was.

The Gray man is a brilliant addition to the story by Maggie. As some of this book is told from his POV he helps push the story along. You are able to know a little more than than the group of Blue and Raven boys because of following him. He is not everything he seems, it is a very complex character and for a hit man I really liked him.

The writing is elegant, beautiful and funny at times. It is written like I imagine the south, with a gentle flowing nature to it. I got lost in the language a few times but in a most wonderful way and each new character added something intriguing to story.

If you have read the Raven Boys then definitely read this as it is just as good if not better. If you haven't started this series yet, well all I can say is start it now. I highly doubt you will be disappointed.